Mastering Stick Welding For Beginners
This is welding for real! When learning a new skill it is always best to start with the fundamentals and for welding that is stick welding(MMA). Over four 3 hour sessions this skills based class will introduce you to the process of welding and then develop your skills to the point where you can confidently tackle your own projects.
Each week will mix theory, demonstrations and plenty of hands on welding time. You will spend hours practicing, running beads, fillet joints, butt joints and lap joints. The final session will be a practical project where you will exercise your new skills by welding together a small stool, bench or table.
We will cover:
- The different welding machines available on the market and the pros and cons associated with each machine
- Safety considerations UV Rays, Burns, electrocution
- Power outputs
- Thorough introduction to the Stick welder and what all the dials are.
- Explanation of the relationship between material thickness, Rod choice and Amperage selection.
- Choosing the right rods for the job
- Introduction to and demonstration of butt joints, fillet joints and lap joints
Oliver Fity studied Jewellery and object design at Enmore design Centre where he learnt a vast array of workshop skills and took part in many exhibitions over the years, including being exhibited at the Adelaide Jam Factory.
Following this he worked as a foreman and leading hand building custom machinery for many theatres around Australia and the world including the Sydney Opera House, Victorian Arts centre in Melbourne as well as building a three storey autonomous machine as part of the world expo in Shanghai.
These days he enjoys sharing his knowledge at Makerspace where he works as the Metal Technician, and getting his hands dirty on any number of side projects typically involving Bicycles and anything metal.
His current project is to build a professional bicycle frame jig to allow himself the pleasure of making a series of bike frames to compliment his growing collection.