Metalwork: Intro to Welding
Whet your welding appetite! When learning a new skill it is always best to start with the fundamentals, and for welding that is MIG and stick welding (MMA). This 3-hour taster class will introduce you to the process of welding and then give you some hands on experience running beads.
This session will mix theory, demonstrations and hands on welding time. You will discuss, fillet joints, butt joints and lap joints and practice running beads.
We Will Cover:
- The different welding machines available on the market and the pros and cons associated with each machine
- Safety considerations UV Rays, Burns, electrocution
- Thorough introduction to the MIG and Stick welder and what all the dials are.
- Choosing the right wire and rods for the job
- Introduction to butt joints, fillet joints and lap joints
Looking for a more in depth welding course? Check out: Mastering Stick Welding for Beginners
ABOUT THE TEACHER
Oliver Fity studied Jewellery and object design at Enmore design Centre where he learnt a vast array of workshop skills and took part in many exhibitions over the years, including being exhibited at the Adelaide Jam Factory.
Following this he worked as a foreman and leading hand building custom machinery for many theatres around Australia and the world including the Sydney Opera House, Victorian Arts centre in Melbourne as well as building a three storey autonomous machine as part of the world expo in Shanghai.
These days he enjoys sharing his knowledge at Makerspace where he works as the Metal Technician, and getting his hands dirty on any number of side projects typically involving Bicycles and anything metal.