Intro to Embroidery for Fashion & Textiles
Interested in learning the art of garment embellishment and embroidery? In this 2-day workshop you will be introduced to many easy and decorative stitches to embroider your own motif design onto textiles.
We Will Cover:
- Key surface stitches, such as stem stitch, chain stitch, buttonhole stitch, satin stitch, couching, French knots, Turkey stitch and spider wheels
- Learn how to ‘play’ with these key stitches. You will learn to create a petal stitch by combining a stem stitch and chain stitch, use a satin stitch for shading, and work padding to make it look 3Dimensional
- There will be samples and images of embroidery on textiles to study and inspire you
- A kit including, fabric for the sample work, needles and threads, will be provided and is included in the cost of the workshop.
- A small hoop frame, which can be bought at Lincraft or Spotlight
- A pair of small, sharp scissors
- For the second session: a small designed motif e.g. a bird (preferably your own design). Stitches will be suggested for your motif
- Your glasses, if you need them for close work
- Bring a camera for photographing the samples and images that will be brought into the workshop. Also bring a notepad and pencil/pen. A kit including, fabric for the sample work, needles and threads for the 1st day, will be provided and is included in the cost of the workshop.
I would like to know your colour preferences 2 weeks before the 1st day of the course so that I can purchase threads to your liking, colour-wise. Please email me at: email@example.com
Mary Brown has trained at the Royal School of Needlework at Hampton Court Palace in London. Her expertise ranges from surface stitching, goldwork embroidery and bead and sequin embroidery, and she has published a book on Goldwork Embroidery. Mary worked as a Visual Arts teacher in Senior Colleges until 2003, where she introduced stitching and embroidery as an important means for expression, mainly for Art Wearables. Since 2007, she has been a sessional lecturer at the University of Technology, Sydney, delivering lectures on embroidery and running embroidery workshops for all 2nd year students in Fashion & Textile Design. Mary also designs and creates embroidered garments and textiles for exhibition. You can find more information about her amazing work at firstname.lastname@example.org